Perfect Friction is a group of young musicians who came together through playing at sessions in Wicklow Town. The band features 5 trad musicians and a world-class vocalist, Louise Kelly.
The band’s music ranges from high-energy trad sets with a full range of instruments (fiddle, accordion, whistle, banjo, bodhrán, guitar), to pop and rock songs tastefully arranged with a trad theme. The band delivers a sound that will have your foot tapping and will leave you wondering what the magic ingredient is.
Perfect Friction are making their mark on the Irish Music scene having shared the stage with members of The Chieftens, members of The Dubliners, Paul Brady, Francis Black, Kila, Aoife Scott, The Keynotes and Elenor McEvoy, to name a few. They have accumulated a considerable resume of appearances and achievements since their formation including –
- Electric Picnic, Body and Soul Arena and Mindfield arena performances
- Headline act with Paul Brady, Copenhagen Irish Festival
- Opening of A Tribute to Edna O’Brien as part of the 1916 celebrations, alongside many accredited Irish musicians, actors and writers in the Gaiety Theatre Dublin
- Headline act with Kila at the Brussels Tradfest
- Headline of the HIFA International Music Festival in Harare Zimbabwe
- Closing act at the Dubai International Duty Free Convention at the Irish village in Dubai
- 6 month residency in Disney World Orlando
- Extensive tours of Germany and France
- Featured performance on RTE’s TV series ‘Fleadh Cheoil’ and ‘Fleadh Live’ programme
- Headline act at the Templebar Tradfest
- Winners of the Festival Ortugueria International music competition in Burgos region Spain
- Guest performance on RTE’s Late Late Show
- Performance and interview on Ceili House RTE radio 1, Newstalk radio, East Coast FM, 4FM, Near FM, and the Ryan Tubridy show RTE radio 1
Louise Kelly – Lead Vocalist
As a graduate of the BA Voice and Dance, University of Limerick, Louise has explored almost every genre of music, in particular Gregorian & Eastern Chant, Gospel, Latin American and Indian. She has performed right across the globe, including the US, Mexico, Argentina and the UK, to name a few, which included performances for the Dalai Lama himself. Louise’s angelic vocal will send shivers down your spine, contrasted with her up tempo melodies which will make you want to jump up on your seat and join in!
Debbie Byrne – Accordion / Backing Vocals
Debbie’s passion for Irish traditional music began at the early age of 7 with her growing abilities on the Accordion and the Melodeon recognised with wins at provincial Fleadhs at every age level. Her love for trad music does not end with her accordion skills however, she is also a twinkle toe’d size 3 Irish dancer who has danced her way to many titles, as well as across the globe, with dance troops over the years.
Courtney Cullen – Fiddle / Flute / Whistles
Courtney began her musical career early, completing her violin, flute and piano grades all before the age of 16. She began in a classical surrounding working up to achieving a diploma in music performance from the Royal Irish Academy of Music. Courtney is not new to the trad scene however, with 3 Senior all Ireland titles under her belt on flute and fiddle. She continuously writes new compositions for the band, with tracks such as Irish Love and One Day in her repertoire.
Eddie Kavanagh – Bodhran
Eddie is the beat of the band, beginning at a later age than most in his profession but, none the less quickly progressing to become widely recognised as one of the strongest percussion players on the Irish music scene. He has toured extensively with musicians and highly accredited dance shows throughout France, Switzerland, Germany, Spain, Scotland, Belgium, Italy and the USA, to name a few.
Brian Holmes – Banjo / Guitar / Vocals
Brian is a recent addition to the group, having met the band on a residency placement in Disney World Orlando where he performed nightly to mass US crowds, wowing them with his vocals, guitar skills and banjo techniques. Brian, who is the youngest member of the group, has also toured extensively throughout the USA and Europe with various groups of musicians and dance troops, with many awaiting in anticipation of his solo album which is due to be released mid 2017.